The long overdue chemo/Stem cell/General life update...

Good morning everyone!
Last you heard, Serry was in the hospital getting chemo. She was there for 3 days--chemo on Wednesday and Thursday. Here's a fun picture of her time there...
As she said - she's "totally tubular! 5 bags up and all going in!!"

Back to the chemo, though... I was really confused as to why she had to have chemo when she hadn't been able to produce enough stem cells to HAVE chemo. I just trusted, however, that her doctors knew a sliver more about cancer and the body than I do (insert laughing smiley here). I finally had it explained to me and now it makes complete sense...

Basically... her body was really worn out from the radiation and treatments that happened in the fall. Her bone marrow was, in a sense, all dried up. It wasn't creating new stem cells in the way that it needed to. Therefore, the chemo drug that they gave her last week's intent was to kill off all of those old, dried up, unusable cells, and encourage the body to make fresh, new, eager-to-work cells. After the chemo had a chance to start it's work, they began giving her shots again every day to, hopefully, be able to start harvesting soon. She's been getting these shots since Saturday, and I believe she said that they'll check her blood either today or tomorrow to see if her numbers are up high enough to begin the harvesting process. We're REALLY hoping that this round takes - these little guys are the ones that get to save her life over the next few months!

Here's something else I recently learned... Have you ever heard of the blood-brain barrier (BBB)? The BBB is a semi-permeable structure in the central nervous system that restricts the passage of various chemical substances and microscopic objects between the bloodstream and the neural tissue itself (i.e. the brain), while still allowing the passage of essential substances, like oxygen. This means that, for the most part, drugs like the majority of chemo drugs are not allowed access to the brain. HOWEVER, when a person has brain cancer... they have to find those drugs that ARE allowed access. That means that there are a select few drugs that the doctors can use to kill off the rest of this stuff. Interesting? We thought so.

Finally, I'd just like to RE-emphasize how much your comments, thoughts, and prayers mean to Serry. I know she cherishes each of you. And a special note to the Pullman gang... she really misses seeing you every day. I just got a chance to hang out with the whole family last night (Serry looks great, by the way!) and I think that you guys are all helping pull her through this. OH... you... and cinnamon rolls. That's the final thing I want to talk about before signing off. Serry hasn't really been eating over the past few months--she's been on a feeding tube, so she's still getting "fed", but not much REAL food. Well... over the past two days, she's certainly turned around! Yesterday she ate a ton of food - and kept saying, "I'm hungry! I'm hungry!" In the morning, she mentioned to Gentry that she wanted cinnamon rolls... and Gentry provided. You all know Paula Deen on the Food Network, right? As in... "My favorite foods are mayonaise and butter!" Well, Gentry found a fabulous recipe for cinnamon rolls... and Serry got to eat one! YUUUMMM. If I had the pictures she took, I'd post them. ;)

Have a good week, everyone.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Serry, from what I understand you are now at home again, Yea!! you look great in that picture. What an amazing smile you have! You and your family are always in our thoughts. I sent a note to Linda Oshea who now lives in Sedro Wooley, Darren is getting married (again) in Feb. also I sent your Blog to my dear friend who's son (35) just had surgery for brain cancer. He is starting his radiation next week. He like you has a loving family and lots of friends. I thought maybe his family would set up a blog for him. I also think you will be an inspiration. Hopefully you don't mind.Sherie (my daughter) sends her best wishes to you.Take care and keep up the good work. Love judy M.

LorieM said...

Serry, we're so glad to hear you're able to eat again. That in itself is a wonderful sign! We're pulling for you and you remain in our thoughts and prayers. Lorie

Unknown said...

mmm Paula Deen! When she started her little talk show thing, they made a bust of her out of butter. It was too funny! The food network is one of my favorite channels! Except for Sandra Lee. I really can't stand her. And her fussy tables. And her always being 2 sheets to the wind when she's making her "amazing" drinks. Anyway, enough about why I can't stand some random food cooking type person.

Your pic looks great! You are so beautiful, and you've got this in the bag Miss Futuristic! :)

In other news... I don't think I have any other news, not much goes on with me. *thinks*

Oh, random, Kimberly went snowboarding for the first time this weekend, I have to email mom to see how she liked it. And she has Sadies or some such this coming weekend. That girl is *so* busy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Serry,

You look fabulous. I love the big smile on your face and the hairdo is stunning. Truthfully. It is amazing to see ourselves bald and realize that we are still hot chicks.

Things are sounding good and an appetite! That cinnamon roll must have been something else. You could taste, right? Yeah!

Here at the CB we are gearing up for the accreditation team visit. We had an all college meeting yesterday. All seems to be set in place and we are very hopeful of receiving a passing grade. Next week will probably be pretty tense for many, but all will manage and breeze through.

As you know Jesse has moved on to Portland. The OT crew is something else. How they manage to keep smiling at times always amazes me. Greg does one heck of a job at teaching his gang incredible PR skills. Of course behind closed doors they probably practic voodoo. Not wanting to feel what that would be like I am laying low and not asking for anything extra unless, of course, I feel desperate.

There is never a day that goes by that you are not in my prayers. Chris Talbott and I were talking about you earlier this week. I hope that sent some good carma your way.

Stay strong little girl. You are doing one fine job!

Barbara

Sheila Bershatsky (aka: Brooklyn) said...

Serry,
Wow! You look great! I hope you will always have good reasons to show off your beautiful smile.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Hi Serry, We just want you to know that all our prayers are with you...and you have proved to us all that bald is truly beautiful!! You make it look good girl! Stay strong...you have teriffic sisters and a great family...you will get through all this with their help! Much love to you, Laura

Anonymous said...

Serry, just read you post and must tell you your smile lights up the room. Our prayers are with you and you are such an inspiration to all that read about you. Spring is around the corner and you will be enjoying it. Love from Jim and June and Grandma and Grandpa Yockey and all the Yockeys xoxo

Anonymous said...

Serry Hi just thinking of you - again. You look great - shiny and smiling!! You are not missing our winter here - I am so sick of the snow and gray skies. Just continue getting well - you look real healthy now and if you are eating -that is a good sign.You have such wonderful family that is with you. They love you like we all do.
Keep getting better!
Sandie

Anonymous said...

WHOA! now i know what they say" bald is beautiful" you certainly are that, and that big wide smile has always been a favorite of mine.

cinnamon rolls, have always made me feel better, works every time.:)

continue on with knowing we love you, rock on serry!
the o'keefe famly

Anonymous said...

Hi Serry! Just wanted to drop you a quick note, you look AMAZING! Keep smiling girl :)

Lindsay Patterson

Jenni said...

yay for cinnamon rolls!

Serry, we're all pulling for you and I think of you often. I look forward to when I finally get to meet you.

Emily, thank you for the updates you give us. We appreciate the time and heart it takes.

Design by Blogger Templates