For a change of pace...

Hello all,

This marks the first time I have posted on my blog! I wanted to give Emily a break and let you know how things are going for a change since I am feeling good and able. She has done such a doggedly cheerful good job keeping everyone informed and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks Em!

Here is the update:
I became an inpatient at the hospital for the eighth time for the third round of chemo Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with re-infusion of my stem cells on Friday. Everything went smoothly and my body luckily didn’t have any unforeseen reactions. The chemo this time was reduced 10% since round two chemo was pretty hard on the old body. I was ecstatic to come home Friday evening and enjoy the beautiful spring atmosphere (what wonderfully greenery and colorful blossoms!).

The next week and a half I will become neutropenic, meaning my remaining red and white blood cells and platelets will naturally age and die, causing the counts of each to go down. The chemo killed off production & hope of replenishment of these critical cells when it hit the bone marrow. Luckily the stem cells I received on Friday will, over the coming days, mature into these three cells as my body needs them, thus I am ‘rescued by my stem cells!’ This ‘rescue’ is a great artificial means of jump-starting my recovery. As of today I have no white blood cells (for fighting infection) and will be getting platelet and red blood infusions in the next few days. This has all been a fascinating learning process and is normal for the special protocol of chemo (St. Jude’s Protocol) that I am receiving. One interesting side note is that to my Doctor’s knowledge, only 6 to 19 year olds have completed this protocol successfully, and here I am at 30!

I am at home right now and very happy to be here. I will be so exhausted soon that I will barely be able to walk, but I couldn’t be more content to be home on the family farm – it is a calm place for healing and simple joys. If all goes well I hope to start the fourth and final round of chemo at the beginning on June! WoooHooo! :)

Before I go, I must tell you all that from the beginning of this I have drawn great strength and inspiration from your comments. No matter how hard it gets, I still read and re-read your comments and manage to smile and take a heartened breath. I can feel your hope, love and strength through your words and it means the world to me. From my heart, thank you.

Here is a picture of my Mom yesterday after she got her braces off holding her congratulatory bottle of sparkling cider. What a great smile!! She is with me at every step, every day and she is my Mamma Bear, my pharmacist, my motivator, my supporter, my watchdog and yes this is cheesy, my hero. Love ya Mom and Happy Mother’s Day!


I hope that you are well and that you will have a chance to enjoy this budding spring.

Take Care,
Serry

8 comments:

Emily said...

You ARE a rock star. Love you bunches and bunches and more than I ever thought I could. :)

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you in Pullman. The students have now departed and the lazy days of summer shall soon appear. Except..wait..it is currently raining and hailing! I am thrilled to see you well enough to post on your blog. Stay strong!

Unknown said...

OH Serry!

You made me cry... Grace looks BEAUTIFUL! And you m'dear... you look so happy!

When all of this is over this summer, we are SO taking a walk and catching up! I'm very much looking forward to it.

Spring can stop now, ever since I moved to Eugene, I've had allergies :( And these stupid trees breeding are NOT helping matters one bit!

Oh well. I'm getting a kitten tomorrow, since Ninja only had one, my roommate called me to tell me that one of her coworkers has kittens to rehome, so tomorrow I'm going home to a fluffy orange and white furball to love! Since rehoming my jack russel, (I just wasn't home enough for her) my becca pet heart has been neglected!

But a kitten doesn't just adore one person, and love others the way a dog does, so we decided to go with a cat. Along with an ancient shi tzu (who's blind AND deaf) and a hamster of DOOM. I'm quite excited. However, we're already having some disagreements as to names. Apparently I come up with dumb names. Heheh But, I won't really know until I meet him. Then we can discuss and name like real adults. Riiiiiiight.

Anyway, about our walk. Shall we go up into the forest, or just wander around DH where we used to run? We definately need to take a camera, some water, and our senses of humor!

I'm thinkin of you honey, and I know the tiredness is going to come on, but just remember always that this too shall pass, and that you're catching up on all the sleep you've missed over the years since naptime in preschool!

~Hugs and cherry blossoms~

t. l. said...

YAY, Serry Berry!!!!!!!


Aren't those spring flowers just a treat? We've got some amazing cherry blossoms going off right now in Philly.

It's good to see your smiling face (and totally mirrored in your mom. I never knew you had a twin!!!!)

Love you love you.

Tara Beara

Emily said...

Serr... I just wanted to tell you that you are my reminder to be peaceful today. Work is crazy, with TONS of opportunities to be stressed. But that picture of you just reminds me that there are so many more important things in life.

Thanks...

Anonymous said...

Hey Serry, Sooooooo great to hear from you personally and you look fantastic! Bald looks good on you! I am so thrilled to hear that you are almost done with treatments! I guess this summer will be a true vacation! We are thinking of you constantly and wish you all the best in the days to come!

Anonymous said...

Serry, you still have that beautiful smile! I am so glad to hear things are going better this time. Summer in Pullman has not appeard yet this week. They promise 80 degrees on Monday, but that was while we were getting hail this week! Glad you have a place to rest....home is always good. Positive thoughts are sent your way, Gloria

LorieM said...

Serry,

It is so good to hear from you. Emily has done a fabulous job of keeping us informed, but it's wonderful to hear your voice. I know what you mean about enjoying the spring blossoms. We’ve been having one of those extended springs in Pullman, where it’s been cold enough for long enough that the spring bulbs are still blooming. I do love daffodils, tulips,and hyacinths, so I’m happy they’ve been around for a while. Now I think we’re all ready for some warm weather, which is in store for us this weekend.

I’m glad you have a restful place like the family farm for your recuperation. And family support certainly doesn’t hurt! I’m glad you have both. We're keeping you in our prayers in Pullman as well. Here’s to your stem cells getting going quickly! Take care of yourself.

Lorie

Design by Blogger Templates