Radiation, Chemo, Bloodcounts... Whew!

Good evening, everyone, and happy election day...

I just returned home from a visit to see some birthday people and our Serry!! (It's so good to see her so much--I just wish it was for a better reason!)

I took Serry up to radiation on Monday--I got to meet the amazing staff up there... they're SO nice, fantastic at what they do... and you can tell that they really do care! I love it. :)

We had a big event this weekend... Serry is now a "free" woman! Free of the burdens of hair falling out that is! It's pretty amazing to know that with or without hair, my sister looks pretty darn amazing... and it's fun to rub her head!

Here's a specific prayer request for you pray-ers out there... Serry's white blood cell count is going down (as is expected with this kind of treatment). However, we don't want those counts to get TOO low--that could lead to other complications that we just don't want to have to deal with. Could you please pray that her counts stay where they are? We want them to stay above 1000, if possible. (Of course, the numbers don't mean much to me, either, but sometimes it's nice to have those specifics!) Thanks, everyone!

Serry's feeling pretty run down these days... again, expected. I know she has much that she wants to say to each of you... I hear your names and see the smile she gives for you all. Know that even if she doesn't post much on here, or call you, or tell you thank you herself, her heart is saying it daily--it's written all over her.

So, for tonight--thank you all. In one of the next posts I'll try to update you about our next steps (stem cell harvesting, heavy doses of chemo, etc.). For now, know that she only has TWELVE days of radiation left! WOO!!! Thanks for the love on here, everyone! Good night!

9 comments:

LorieM said...

Thank you for the update. I personally tend to worry when there's been no news. I'm sure it gets old to report pretty much the same news day after day, so thank you. We will keep Serry in our prayers. Take care of yourself, girl. Keep your spirit strong, even when the body gets weak. Best to you and your family. Lorie

Jenni said...

Thank you, Em, for keeping us informed. We'll be praying for you, Serry, and for those white blood cell counts. You are loved!

Jesse Todhunter said...

Hey Serry! Glad to get the update, and will be praying for you for sure. I recall the matter with the low white blood cell count with my Dad, when he had colon cancer.

So maybe you get to hang out and watch all this election stuff... or maybe you have seen enough and you are totally tired of it! Well, if it's worth anything, I went to Spokane for an election night party... dressed as Sarah Palin! You can borrow my wig if you like... though I think I'll hang on to the dress... :)

All the best,
Jesse

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Serry and the rest of your family. Two more radiations and you can count them on your fingers. Gentle hugs! Candy

Unknown said...

Hey there girl!! (And HI Emily!!)

It's Becca here... Just wanted to let you know the eyes and ears of Delphi are alive and well *giggles*

So, Mom called me today, and gave me your blogspot, and here I am!

I've been doing a lot of thinking today, and while I'm sure you know all of my well wishes, love and hugs are with you, (whether you want the hugs or NOT!) I've been remembering...

7 am early spring bike rides, picking you up at your house, riding down by the dairy farm as the sun was rising, the mists dissipating over the fields, hands off the handlebars, breathing deeply into what I now know are my asthmatic lungs, going by Rob Keiser's house, popping by the Littlerock store to buy sodas that fit in our water bottle holders, then up the looooooong hill to turn left to the mima mounds, then back down waddle road down that switchback hill with the stream underneath, whining and panting up the other side, then a right to go back down to drop me off at my house, grinning, sweaty, giggly, and above all, tired and happy.

Stop smiling!

Volunteering at the poker rides, poker chips in the wash mitts in cans so as not to scare the horses.

Your graduation party... staying out until 1:30 am, by the fire in the backyard, dreaming about growing up, becoming adults, how great college is going to be, boyfriends, grades, classes, studying, new friends, and new adventures.

I remember the first time I met you when Ron took us by your house to do something regarding mom and dad buying the house, you were so quiet, shyly smiling, then first day of 6th grade, I realized that you weren't in Mr Cooper's class with me, and they opened up the partitions between the rooms and gave some lame speech about growing up and such. It was such a hot and sleepy day, I kept looking at all the kids across in your class, thinking "Is that her? I think so..." You had your head on your fist, eyes heavy, looking like it was taking all the toothpicks in the world to keep your eyes open to listen to the droning of the teachers. I realized it was definitely you once we got on the bus.

Seeing you at the fair w/llamas and cows, congratulating you on how great your heifer looked, then accidentally petting her with the grain of her hair, when you had spent hours properly combing her against to make her look bigger. I never made that mistake again!!

When you got bit by that silly walker (I can't think of his name) when he was being cranky with Hillaire (spelling?)

So much, so much, so much.

One of my acquaintances uses the term "Heart throwing sparks" and I now understand fully what he means by it, that's exactly how I'm feeling, my heart is so full to bursting, and just throwing out electricity to you...

Hugs to you! I'll be back very soon for more rambling!!

Everyone else on Gentry lane sends their love, thoughts and prayers too!

Love,
Becca

PS no, obviously I STILL don't believe in punctuation!

Anonymous said...

Dear Serry - you are often on my mind and when that happens, there's always a prayer for your healing. Don't worry about the hair - no biggie! We're making you a wig, girl! Andy down at the barn has plenty to spare - and it's even a little curly!

Much love
Mark and the Gang

Anonymous said...

Hi Serry,

I am a co-woker of Emily's. I have not met you in person, but you sound like an amazing gal. You have such incredible strength. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. best to you and your family dear.
Laurie

Unknown said...

I'm giggling about Mark's comment... Too bad noone has a palomino handy!! heh

Emily said...

I laughed at Mark's comment, too... Serr - you could smell horse hair ALL DAY!!! :)

Design by Blogger Templates