Begone, Cells!

Good evening, everyone. I hope your Christmas was a blessed one and you felt as honored as I did to spend it with special loved ones. It was our first REAL White Christmas (and boy was it white!)... which meant that we were able to stay home, be quiet, and just enjoy each other's company. Serry, Gentry, and I were even able to play a few games throughout the day! It was wonderful.

I just came home from seeing Serry off for her next round. Tomorrow starts the stem cell harvesting process. She has to be at the hospital early tomorrow to have a port inserted (the port will be how they give her all of her medication, pull the stem cells, etc. - she may keep it for chemo, but we're not sure yet), and to get her first in a series of 5 shots. The shots will cause her bones to produce extra stem cells for harvesting. Unfortunately, they also will cause her bones to hurt. If I understood right, she'll be done with all of this next Monday (the 5th), with the possibility of being done on Sunday. Chemo will then start 2 weeks after they're finished.

Our Serry has gone through some of the toughest fighting she'll ever have to do. It's been painful, exhuasting, scary, emotional... Having a few weeks "off" has been a nice time to rest as much as possible, I know. It's time to gear up again, though, for one last push. The stem cell harvesting is Part A, chemo is Part B of the last fight with this.

Serry... this is my note to you. You are so brave. You are so strong. You just go in there and fight, fight, fight. I am so honored to be called your sister. You know... I look at other women who are sisters and I wonder if they could ever love each other as much as Gentry and I love you. I simply don't think it's possible. So... I want to see my fiesty Serry again. The one who would climb any beanpole tree at a moment's notice; who would ride an upside down roller coaster again and again just to see what it feels like to fly... This is YOUR chance to kick this thing while it's down. We BELIEVE in you.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serry,

We've been following this blog since the beginning. We are very proud of you and continue to send every good thought we can your way. Keep up the fight, you are worth it and know that we are here for you. 2009 will be a year for healing and winning this battle.
Love, Cheryl & Scott Frable

Unknown said...

So m'dear... you goin up to the top of Capital peak in your 4 wheel drive brown pickup with the WSU flag on the cb antenna? Ya know, with a cooler full of coors and a ham sammich incase you get hungery? Maybe pull down a buck on the way? hehehehehehe

Well, see, I ask 'cause I'm wondering if I'm going to see you up there...

*Innocent look*

Actually, I'm working as usual. /sigh

Unknown said...

I ment for new year's plans.

Apparently I need more sleep.

Anonymous said...

Serry,
So today must be the day the stem cell harvesting began (Monday, 29th). It all sounds like high tech medicine, which will undoubtedly be of great interest to you, given your skills and interests and education. Nothing very high tech about Pullman weather over the holidays: very snowy (inches and inches, but gorgeous). It's break so few people around campus. Working today on building some new websites (who? me?). And wishing you all the very, very best as we start up another new year. Miss your smile around here! -- Bev M.

Anonymous said...

Dear Serry,

OK girl, here you go again. It won't be easy, but you have a great team of doctors and nurses who are going to do everything in their power to make you comfortable. Your cheering squad is ready and we are shouting from the treetops to help you through this phase of treatment. Just remember when this is all over you will never be this tired again, or hurt this much again. Fight every day, never give up. The battle will be won.

FOR THE CURE,
Barbara
MgtOp

Anonymous said...

hi Serry what great pictures of you.
Good luck, we will be thinking of you and eveyone! Take care love Judy

Anonymous said...

Serry,
Sending you our prayers and love. Kay & Ron Nelson

Anonymous said...

Hey There Serry,

THANKS for sharing the news on your updates GOES TO YOUR SIS EMILY!

We will continue to wish you well, and hope this part of the procedure goes SMOOTHLY, as i know it will! Happy new year, serry
WE LOVE YOU!!!
THE O'KEEFE FAMILY

Sheila Bershatsky (aka: Brooklyn) said...

Dear Serry,

I wish you Health... So you may enjoy each day in comfort.

I wish you the Love of friends and family... And Peace within your heart.

I wish you the Beauty of nature...
That you may enjoy the work of God.

I wish you Wisdom to choose priorities... For those things that really matter in life.

I wish you Generosity so you may share... All good things that come to you.

I wish you Happiness and Joy...
And Blessings for the New Year.

I wish you the best of everything... That you so well deserve.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIEND!

~ Author Unknown to me ~
Sheila

Jenni said...

Emily, thank you for all the updates!

Serry, I'll be thinking about you as you go into stem cell harvesting and more chemo. I'll be rooting you on as you beat this stuff down. Love the pics!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Serry! This year is nothing but hopes and dreams and granting of wishes!

Love,
Becca

Design by Blogger Templates